FAQ's / Series Information
- How are series points earned?
- What kind of awards can I win?
- Is there any free "stuff"?
- What requirements must a race fulfill to be included in the series?
- Who do I contact with inquiries about the series?
- Who do I contact to ask a triathlon training related question?
This series is expected to consist of ten events in 2013. There is no added cost or action needed to be taken by the athlete to participate in the series points system. Athletes competing in any of the series events will automatically be placed in the Series Standings by Pickle Events. An updated list of points will be displayed on this website after each series event. Series Points are awarded based on the following criteria:
- Overall winners (male and female) of each event receive 1000 points.
- Each athlete earns points based upon the percentage behind the overall winner. For example, if your time is 30% slower than the overall winner, you receive 700 points.
- Each athlete's best four scores in series events will be used to score points.
- Athletes receive 25 bonus points for participation in their fifth and sixth race of the series (50 points maximum).
- There will be a "Bonus Points" Race each year. In 2013 there will be two Bonus Points Races which will be the Land Between the Lakes Triathlon and the Young Life Olympic Distance Triathlon. Every finisher in either or both of these two races will receive 50 "Series Bonus Points" per race (100 points maximum).
- Scores are tallied within age divisions for each gender. Participants do not change "series" age divisions during the year. A participant's division is set according to their age on the day they score their first Tri MN Series points of the year. For example, if Joe is 49 when he finishes his first series event on June 28, and then turns 50 on July 1st. He will be listed in the 45-49 division for the series standings throughout the year.
- Scores are tallied within age divisions for each gender. Participants
do not change "series" age divisions during the year. A participant's
division is set according to their age on the day they score their first
Tri MN Series points of the year. For example, if Joe is 49 when he finishes
his first series event on June 28, and then turns 50 on July 1st. He will
be listed in the 45-49 division for the series standings throughout the
End-of-the Year Awards, donated by Gear West Bike & Triathlon, will be given out to the overall male and female with the most points and the top point-earner in each age division. In order for age division awards to exist, the top point-earner, in that division must have finished at least three races. Age Group is determined by each person's age at their first event of the year.
Series winners (male and female) will receive:
- An Overall Award from Gear West Bike
- free entry into the ten races the following year
- Series age group winners will receive:
- Age Group Awards from Gear West Bike to include; a custom printed Draw String Shoe Backback and a Tri MN etched Park Tool Bottle Opener.
- A free entry into the series races will also be awarded to one male and one female series age group winner, which will be determined by a drawing in November.
Everyone is a winner by participating in a Tri Minnesota Series Event! In 2013 Gear West Bike & Triathlon will provide a great package for all participants of the Tri MN Series.
To be a part of the Tri Minnesota Series (TMS) each race will meet the following minimum standards:
- Championchip Timing and results will be done by Pickle Events for each race.
- A minimum of five splits will be timed, including transition splits.
- The entry fee should be affordable.
- The race must be accurately marked for distance.
- The race course must be clearly marked.
- An adequate number of volunteers are to be available on the course.
- The swim must minimally follow USA Triathlon standards for supervision.
- Secured transition areas will be available.
- Free refreshments will be available after the race for the athletes.
Email Pickle Events if you have any questions. Pickle Events also be contacted via telephone at (320) 529-0884.
If you have any questions related to competing in a triathlon click here to "Ask a Coach"! Very basic or more detailed questions are all welcomed and will be answered by a USAT Certified Coach.